Does raw sugar shampoo cause hair loss? No. I have been using raw sugar shampoo for three months now, and I haven’t experienced any hair loss. In fact, my hair looks better and shinier than it did a few months ago.
Before I go any deeper, allow me to tell you how I started using raw sugar shampoo. About 5 months ago, I visited my sister and forgot to carry my shampoo. So, after a day out on the beach, I borrowed her shampoo and immediately fell in love. From the coconut scent, the little amount needed to wash, and the softness of my hair, I knew the product was good.
So, I asked my sister about the product, and she went on and on about how her colleague had introduced her to it and how it worked fine for her. After getting home, I decided to do a little research. After reading many raw sugar shampoo reviews, I bought it and have been using it for three months. However, recently, I came across this discussion on Reddit. So, here is my honest raw sugar shampoo review as I address the question, ‘Does raw sugar shampoo cause hair loss?’
What is raw sugar shampoo?
Raw sugar shampoo is a hair shampoo made from unprocessed sugar and natural plant-based ingredients. Unlike regular shampoos that contain harsh chemicals and sulfates, raw sugar shampoo is gentle with nourishing properties. It is free from parabens, which can dry your hair and scalp as well as cause irritation, and sulfates, which usually strip the hair of its natural oils.
Does raw sugar shampoo cause hair loss?
No scientific research has proven that raw sugar shampoo causes hair loss. So, although you might be experiencing hair loss while using raw sugar shampoo, it might not be the cause. In fact, the natural ingredients found in raw sugar shampoo, such as raw sugar cane extract, coconut oil, and essential oils, are known to positively affect hair health by promoting growth. And in my case I have been using this shampoo for three months and have not experienced hair loss.
However, it is not unheard of for hair products to cause hair loss. So, if you start experiencing hair loss after using raw sugar shampoo, stop using it immediately. But why would raw sugar shampoo cause hair loss? The problem might be that you are allergic to one of its ingredients, or your scalp is sensitive and irritates quickly.
But just because you are experiencing hair loss when using raw sugar shampoo does not mean it’s the one causing it. You should consult a doctor or hair specialist to understand the root cause as there are plenty of other reasons why you might be losing hair like:
- Excessive styling or heat treatments
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Hormonal imbalance
- Certain medical conditions, like diabetes
What to Do If you Experience Hair Loss When Using Raw Sugar Shampoo
As mentioned above, the immediate action is to stop using the product. Then, you should see a hair specialist or a doctor so that they can assess your case. But before you conclude the raw sugar shampoo is causing hair loss, ask yourself the following questions; did the hair loss start during the same period you started using this shampoo? Have you added any other hair products that may be causing the issue? Are you experiencing other changes in other parts of the body? An honest answer to these questions plus an expert assessment should tell you if it’s raw sugar shampoo causing hair loss.
After an assessment, your doctor may advise you to do the following, depending on the cause of your hair loss:
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Manage stress
- Practice gentle hair care
- Use topical treatments like minoxidil
- Prescribe medication
- Laser therapy
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy
You can also use home remedies for hair loss like;
- Essential Oils: Massage essential oils, such as rosemary, lavender, or peppermint, into the scalp. These oils have properties that may promote hair growth and improve circulation. Dilute them with a carrier oil like jojoba or coconut oil before applying.
- Aloe Vera: Apply aloe vera gel directly to the scalp. Aloe vera contains enzymes that may promote hair growth, reduce inflammation, and soothe the scalp. Leave it on for about 30 minutes before washing it off.
- Onion Juice: Extract onion juice and apply it to the scalp. Onion juice has sulfur, which may improve blood circulation to hair follicles, promoting hair growth. Leave it on for 15-30 minutes before washing thoroughly.
- Egg Mask: Create a hair mask by mixing an egg with olive oil and honey. Eggs are rich in proteins and nutrients that can strengthen hair and promote growth. Apply the mask to damp hair, leave it for 20 minutes, and then wash with a mild shampoo.
- Green Tea Rinse: Brew green tea and let it cool. Use it as a final rinse after shampooing. Green tea contains antioxidants that may help prevent hair loss and stimulate hair follicles. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing with water.
Is Raw Sugar Shampoo Good for Your Hair?
We have already established that raw sugar shampoo does not cause hair loss. But is raw sugar good? What does raw sugar shampoo do for your hair? From my experience, raw sugar shampoo is a wonderful hair product. For the three months I have used it plus the raw sugar conditioner, I have noticed the following changes;
- My hair is well-nourished and moisturized
- I have seen improvement in volume, shine, and softness
- The hair is more manageable and stronger (my hair used to break a lot, especially after removing braids, but now breakage is minimal)
- My scalp is healthier than ever before. No itching or dandruff.
Let’s look at raw sugar shampoo ingredients to understand if this product is good for your hair.
Raw Sugar Shampoo Ingredients and Their Benefits to the Hair
In my case, I’m using the “The Moisture Smoothie Shampoo, “Coconut + Agave + Sweet Almond ” Milk scent.” Here is a screenshot of its ingredients.
Now let’s see how some of these ingredients can help your hair;
- Coconut Oil: Known for its moisturizing properties, coconut oil deeply hydrates the hair and scalp, reducing dryness and promoting a healthy environment for hair growth. It also helps to prevent protein loss, making the hair strands stronger and less prone to breakage.
- Jojoba oil: Jojoba oil is similar to the natural oils produced by the scalp. It helps moisturize the hair, reduce frizz, and promote a healthy scalp. It can also strengthen hair strands and prevent breakage.
- Shea butter: Shea butter is rich in vitamins and fatty acids, providing moisture to dry or damaged hair. It helps soften hair, reduces split ends, and can benefit those with curly or coarse hair, providing definition and manageability.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera has soothing properties that can help with an irritated scalp. It moisturizes the hair without making it greasy and can promote hair growth. It is also known for its ability to balance the scalp’s pH.
- Almond oil: Almond oil is packed with nutrients like vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, promoting hair health. It nourishes and strengthens hair, adds shine, and can help reduce dandruff. Additionally, it can protect hair from environmental damage.
Frequently Asked Questions about Raw Sugar Shampoo
Is raw sugar shampoo good for dandruff?
Yes. In my case, I struggled with dandruff and itchy scalp. And right now, I’m much better. The almond oil in the shampoo is known to help reduce and prevent dandruff.
Advantages of Raw Sugar Shampoo
The raw sugar shampoo offers many benefits to your hair. Here are the advantages of using it
- It helps the hair retain moisture thanks to the natural humectant properties present. As a result, the hair is softer and manageable.
- Cleans without causing excessive dryness
- Prevents dandruff
- Prevents breakage by making the hair stronger
- Adds a shine
- It’s sulfate-free
- Has no paraben
- Harsh chemical-free
- Made with high-quality natural ingredients
Drawback of raw sugar shampoo
While this shampoo has worked for me 100%, it also contains fragrance, phenoxyethanol, and benzyl alcohol, which might be dangerous to human health, according to this study. However, the risk is minimal as only a small amount is used.
Is raw sugar shampoo good for oily hair?
Yes, raw sugar shampoo is good for oily hair. It helps to cleanse the scalp and remove excess oil without stripping the hair of its natural moisture. The natural ingredients in raw sugar shampoo work to balance oil production, leaving the hair feeling clean and refreshed.
How to use raw sugar shampoo
Similar to other shampoos, wet your hair, apply a small amount of raw sugar shampoo, and massage into the scalp. Work through the lengths, then rinse thoroughly. Towel-dry gently and apply raw sugar conditioner.
Is raw sugar shampoo good for thinning hair?
While raw sugar shampoo is not a remedy for thinning hair, it nourishes the scalp and strengthens weak hair shafts, promoting stronger hair growth.
Is raw sugar shampoo vegan and cruelty-free
Yes, the Raw Shampoo is vegan and cruelty-free. The company doesn’t conduct tests on animals and uses natural plant-based ingredients.
Does raw sugar shampoo help with hair loss?
No. Raw sugar shampoo is not a remedy for hair loss. While the ingredients present in this shampoo can prevent hair from thinning, it won’t help if you are already experiencing hair loss. Consult a dermatologist or a hair specialist to know why you are losing hair and get a proper solution. You can also use the DIY methods mentioned above.
Does raw sugar shampoo have sulfate?
No. Raw sugar shampoo is sulfate-free
Summing Up: Does raw sugar shampoo cause hair loss?
Raw sugar is a good shampoo to be used on all hair types. It is safe to use as it is made from natural ingredients. It doesn’t contain parabens, sulfate, or silicone. Moreover, it’s vegan and cruelty-free. Finally, raw sugar shampoo does not cause hair loss. If you experience hair loss while using raw sugar shampoo, it could be because you are allergic to one of the ingredients or your scalp is too sensitive. See a hair specialist or medical practitioner to determine the cause of the hair loss.